When I was growing up and came down with a stuffy nose, chicken soup from the can seemed to make me feel better. But those same mushy noodles and few bites of chicken don’t seem to satisfy any more. I crave something spicy to unclog my sinuses and warming spices like garlic and ginger to soothe my throat.
So a few days ago when I was beginning to feel under the weather (and knowing my family would be catching the same unpleasant symptoms soon enough,) I whipped up this simple soup with as many ‘immunity ingredients’ as I could think of:
- Fresh herbs and veggies chocked full of antioxidants
- Beef rich in protein and zinc – Zinc has been shown to help shorten the length of colds, and chapped noses and inflamed throats need protein to repair
- Ginger and garlic to soothe sore throats
- Spicy jalapeno pepper to unclog stuffy noses
- Vitamin C rich lime juice rich in vitamin C to help heal
What do you eat to help strengthen your immune system and ward off sickness?